Can you believe its week 2 already? I am pretty sure the Bake Off is going to fly by this time! Anyway, this week the lovely Jenny from Mummy Mishaps has asked me to host. It seems that this year there are more bloggers than ever joining in which is great, but it also means the competition for star baker each week is fierce!
And now we are onto biscuit week. This week’s challenges were:
- Signature Challenge – 24 Biscotti
- Technical Challenge – Arlettes
- Showstopper Challenge – An edible biscuit box with 36 biscuits of a different flavour
I decided on biscotti and came up with these pistachio and caramel biscotti, which were delicious. They were however incredibly sweet. By dipping them in dark chocolate, the sweetness of the biscotti and bitterness of the chocolate makes them just perfect.
Pistachio and Caramel Biscotti
- 280g plain flour
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 100g hard caramel sweets, broken up (I used Werthers)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla and oil before adding to flour mixture and mixing until combined.
- Add in the pistachios and caramel pieces and mix together thoroughly, before emptying out onto a floured surface
- Roll the biscotti mix into a log and then flatten
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with baking paper in your preheated oven for around 30 minutes, turning it half way through
- Remove from the oven and put the biscotti log onto a wire rack for 15 minutes to cool
- Slice the biscotti to around 1cm and put them back on the lined baking tray. Reduce the oven temperature to 120 degrees. Place them back in the oven for around 15 minutes until crisp
- Cool on a wire rack
- When cooled melt 100g dark chocolate and dip half of the biscuits to coat them. Scrape any excess chocolate off with a knife and put on baking paper to dry completely
Great Bloggers Bake Off
Fancy a go yourself? Pop on over to Jenny’s blog, Mummy Mishaps and check out the full rules and then link up here. Don’t forget to check Mummy Mishaps next Tuesday for the round up and to see who has been crowned star baker – I can’t wait to see what you all come up with!