There seems to be a lot of excitement around the Great British Bake Off returning for its 6th series and its easy to see why – delicious bakes, scandals, innuendos and gossip – the show is a must see for every baking fan! I mentioned last week that I wanted to start baking again after a bit of a break, and of course taking part in the #GBBOBloggers2015 is the perfect start, hosted yet again by the lovely Jenny of Mummy Mishaps. So the first week was cake week, and I have already veered from the theme – I fancied making something quick and easy which will actually get eaten (plus I have a lovely cake recipe coming up for you later in the week – I don’t want to overdo it now!) I decided that I would make something which I can take along with us on picnics, which we seem to be doing a lot of recently and I came up with this delicious Black Forest Flapjack recipe! What better a combination than chocolate and cherry!
Black Forest Flapjacks
- 125g unsalted butter
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- 250g oats
- 75g milk chocolate chunks
- 75g dried cherries
- 50g white chocolate to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4
- Over a low heat melt the butter and stir in the sugar and golden syrup, while continuing to heat gently
- Add the oats and mix until they are all coated then stir in the cherries and the milk chocolate chunks
- Put the mixture into a baking tin, lined with baking paper. Push it down and bake in the preheated oven for around 25minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for around 10 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin. Melt the white chocolate and drizzle over the top – let it cool before removing the flapjacks and serving.
I was compensated by Tesco for the ingredients for this bake – for more inspiration visit the baking recipes section of their website