Right before Christmas we had a bit of a change in plans. Due to a family illness we ended up with a few more people for Christmas dinner than we had anticipated and one of them had already begun defrosting their Christmas turkey, so it made sense to use that for dinner.
Our turkey crown ended up in the freezer and I took it out and cooked it this week. Now I know turkey doesn’t seem to be popular throughout the year, but its cheaper and leaner than chicken!
I was obviously left with copious amounts of leftover Turkey, so I made this delicious Slimming World friendly turkey and bacon risotto. Without the parmesan this dish is completely free on the Extra Easy plan. Each level tbsp of parmasan is 1 syn.
Turkey and Bacon Risotto
Serves 4, ready in about an hour
- 250g leftover cooked turkey, chopped
- 150g bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chopped pepper, any colour, or a mixture – I used frozen as I had run out of fresh and always keep a bag in emergencies for such occasions.
- handful of frozen peas
- 250g risotto rice
- 750ml chicken stock
- grated parmesan, to serve
- Spray a deep sided frying pan with low calorie cooking spray. Gently fry the bacon, onion and garlic until the bacon is cooked.
- Add the peas, pepper and chopped turkey. Fry for a minute, before adding the rice and stirring thoroughly until it coats the other ingredients.
- Over a medium heat begin to add the stock, a small amount at a time, and keep stirring. When the stock is absorbed, add more and continue until the rice is cooked. If the rice isn’t cooked by the time all the stock is absorbed, then simply add boiling water
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (we leave out the salt) and serve sprinkled with 1 level tablespoon of parmesan per person (1 syn each)