We do enjoy a takeaway here, let’s be honest, who doesn’t, but not only are they not very healthy, they are expensive too. As part of my family favourites feature I will be adding in some recipes for fakeaways – your favourite takeaways made at home! This week is the turn of a Fakeaway Chicken Kebab.
Fakeaway Chicken Kebab
Serves – 2 Cooking time – 30 minutes, plus marinading time.
- 300g diced chicken (I used breast, but you can use any type of skinless and boneless chicken)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Seasoning of your choice (I used piri piri)
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, diced
- Mixed salad (lettuce, cucumber and tomato)
- 2 large pitta breads
- Homemade oven chips
- Mix the seasoning with the olive oil and coat the cubed chicken. Leave to marinade for as long as possible – preferably overnight.
- To make the homemade oven chips, cut up potatoes, parboil for 5 mins, then transfer to a baking tray sprayed with fry light, season with salt and pepper (or any other seasoning you like) and bake for around 30 minutes in an over preheated to 200 degrees
- Add your marinated chicken cubes to a hot pan, with a splash of olive oil and cook until browned.
- Add the red onion to the browned chicken and cook for a couple of minutes until beginning to soften, then add the peppers and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Lightly toast the pitta breads then fill them with some mixed salad, followed by the chicken and veg mixture.
- Serve with the homemade oven chips and sauce of your choice.