I was recently sent a selection of flavoured icing sugars and cocoa powders to try out, by the lovely people at Sugar and Crumbs. I instantly loved the concept, it’s so original and would make baking so much more exciting! The flavour combinations would be almost endless and I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. Something which struck me immediately was that all the flavourings were natural. This is a massive plus point. Most of the flavourings are fruit, and I actually think sometimes artificial flavours taste nothing like they should, so I was looking forward to trying these. Sophie and I decided that we would try out the chocolate cherry flavoured cocoa powder and make some black forest cupcakes. I have made these previously using normal cocoa powder, but thought the added cherry flavour would make them something really special and we weren’t disappointed. I will definitely be trying out some of the other flavours available.
Black Forest Cupcakes
- 40g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 25g chocolate cherry cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg
- 8 tsp cherry jam
- 300ml carton double cream
- grated chocolate or sprinkles to decorate
- Combine the butter, flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Mix together the egg and milk, and slowly add this to the flour mixture until smooth. Do not overmix
- Bake in a 160 degree preheated oven for 20-25 mins
- Cool on a wire rack
- When the cupcakes are cook make a small dent in each cupcake and fill with a teaspoon of cherry jam
- Whisk the cream until it forms stiff peaks and put into a piping bag. Pipe the cream onto the cupcakes. Grate some chocolate over the top to finish.
Disclosure – I was sent the cocoa powder and icing sugars for the purpose of review, however all thoughts, opinions and the recipe I used are my own.